When temperatures rise, the air conditioner becomes an essential appliance in every household. However, there’s nothing worse than a foul smell emanating from your air con. This odour can make your home feel uninviting and may even impact your health. In this article, we explore the reasons behind a bad smelling air conditioning system and how to fix it.
Get Your Air Conditioning Repair Today
Reasons For A Smelly Air Conditioner
- Mould and Mildew: The most common reason for a smelly aircon is mould and mildew growth inside the unit. When the AC is not used for a long time, moisture accumulates inside the system, leading to the growth of bacteria, mould and other nasties.
- Clogged Drainage: A clogged drainpipe can also lead to a musty smell from the AC. The condensate drain pan collects water and allows it to drain out, but if the drain line is clogged, water accumulates, leading to bacteria and mould growth.
- Dirty Air Filters: Air filters are responsible for trapping dust, dirt and other particles, but over time, they become clogged, reducing airflow and causing moisture to accumulate, leading to a musty smell.
- Dead Animals: Small animals, such as rodents and birds, can sometimes crawl into the AC system and get trapped. As they decompose, they emit a foul smell that can spread throughout the house.
- Chemicals: Sometimes, a chemical smell can emanate from the aircon, which may be due to a refrigerant leak or a faulty compressor.
- Smoke: If you or someone in your household smokes indoors, the smoke can get trapped in the AC unit, leading to a persistent, unpleasant odour.
- Poor Maintenance: Finally, poor maintenance of the AC system can also lead to a smelly aircon. Regular cleaning, inspection and tune-ups of the unit are essential to keep it running efficiently and odour-free.
How To Fix A Smelly Aircon
- Clean the AC Unit: The first step to fixing a smelly aircon is to clean the unit thoroughly. This includes cleaning the air filters, the condenser coils, the drain pan and the drainage line. Use a mixture of water and vinegar to clean the components thoroughly.
- Replace the Air Filters: If the air filters are clogged or damaged, replace them immediately. This will not only improve the air quality but also prevent further mould and bacteria growth.
- Clear the Drain Line: Use a wet/dry vacuum to clear the clogged drain line. You can also use a mixture of bleach and water to disinfect the drain pan and line.
- Call a Professional: If the problem persists, it’s time to call in a professional. A licensed technician can inspect the AC system, identify the root cause of the problem and fix it accordingly.
Smelly air conditioner got you holding your nose? It’s time to give that stinky box the cold shoulder! At Climatech we can maintain your air conditioner so you can relax all year-round. We’ve been looking after air cons on the Sunshine Coast and surrounds since the ‘90s and can diagnose and repair a smelly AC or replace your system if necessary. Get in touch with us today via our contact form or give us a call on (07) 5450 6001.